Skip to main content

Mutilated Currency and Bent or Partial Coin

Currency Procedures

Mutilated currency is a note that has been damaged to the extent that one-half or less of the note remains, or its value is questionable and special examination by trained experts at the Department of the Treasury or the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) (Off-site) is required before any exchange is made.

Under regulations issued by the Department of the Treasury, mutilated United States currency may be exchanged at face value if:

  • More than 50% of a note identifiable as United States currency is present.

– OR –

  • 50% or less of a note identifiable as United States currency is present and the method of mutilation and supporting evidence demonstrates to the satisfaction of the Treasury that the missing portions have been totally destroyed. Burnt currency that is clearly less than one-half a complete note, and cannot be handled without compromising its integrity, is considered mutilated currency.

Any badly soiled, dirty, defaced, disintegrated, limp, torn or worn out currency note that is clearly more than one-half of the original note, and does not require special examination to determine its value, is not considered mutilated and should be included in your normal deposit.

The Federal Reserve DOES NOT accept deposits of mutilated currency. Mutilated currency must be sent directly to the BEP's Mutilated Currency Division (Off-site), with a letter stating the estimated value of the currency and an explanation of how the currency became mutilated, to the correct address below based on the shipping method.

If using the United States Postal Service (USPS), please use the following P.O Box and specific zip code:

Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP)
Mutilated Currency Division, Room 344-A
P.O. Box 37048
Washington, DC 20013

If using a private carrier, please use the following street address:

Bureau of Engraving and Printing
Mutilated Currency Division, Room 344-A
14th and C Streets, SW
Washington, DC 20228

The best method to contact the BEP’S Mutilated Currency Division for information about pending cases is via their email address: You may call the BEP’s toll-free number (866) 575-2361, to obtain information on a mutilated currency claim.

If you believe the mutilated currency has also been contaminated, such that it may pose a health or safety risk, write the word “Contaminated “ on all internal packaging (not on the outside of the mailing container) and include a description of the contaminant, if known, in your letter to the BEP. For additional non-mutilated contaminated currency depositing information, please refer to the Contaminated Currency section.

Coin Procedures

Bent or partial coin is coin that has been bent or twisted out of shape, punched, clipped, plugged, fused, or defaced, but that can be identified as to genuineness and denomination. Bent or partial coin is not redeemable at face value; it is redeemable only at its bullion (metal) value as established by the Director of the U.S. Mint.

The Federal Reserve DOES NOT accept deposits of bent or partial coin.

Bent or partial coin must be sent to the U.S. Mint. You must complete a mutilated coin submission application prior to shipping the coin. For information on the submission application, including the shipping instructions, refer to the U.S. Mint’s Redemption Program Instructions (Off-site).

If you believe the coin has been contaminated, please refer to the Contaminated Coin section for information on decontaminating the coin. The Federal Reserve does not accept deposits of Contaminated Coin.

For more information about FedCash Services processing and operations, visit the FedCash pages or consult your local FedCash Services contact.

Top of Page